Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Zick-dough for birds

I spent a portion of yesterday and today making Zick-Dough, which I found on Facebook on a note by Julie Zickefoose . I went to her blog site: http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2010/03/zick-dough-improved.html, where I learned about the recipe and how to prepare it. Having now made two batches, and have put it out for the birds, who love it. BTW do not feed after it wams up in th Spring
.




The recipe is as follows.

NEW ZICK DOUGH: SMALL BATCH

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup lard


Melt in the microwave and stir together:
In order to melt the lard/peanut butter mixture you put it in a microwave proof bowl and microwave it for 5 min. in order to melt it.


In a large mixing bowl, combine

2 cups chick starter

2 cups quick oats

1 cup yellow cornmeal and

1 cup flour
Add melted lard/peanut butter mixture to the combined dry ingredients and mix well.


When I went to my feed store to get the chick starter, which needs to be unmedicated, they only carry that in the spring time. Therefore, I used game bird crumble, which is unmedicated and place of the chick starter.This is a good wintertime project For those who love feeding the birds It is very easy to do. I utilized my mixer to make it easy to uniformly mixed the ingredients.
 





1 comment:

  1. Whoa. King Arthur Flour. I use Valu-Time. Good thinking on the game bird crumble. You can also use layer crumble for hens, which tends to be unmedicated.

    ReplyDelete