Monday, December 17, 2012

New England Owls

Eastern Screech Owl photographed at Mount Auburn Cemetery
New England has had a total of 12 different species of owls reported.  Of those twelve,  I have photographed six  of the species and have heard one other in New England.  Of the very rarest owl reported - Burrowing Owl, I photographed the burrowing owl in Florida and in California.  I am hoping to observe and photograph the remaining species.


Great Horned Owl  (Bubo virginianus)
Great-horned Owl photograph that Mount Auburn Cemetery

Great-horned Owl, juvenile, photographed at Great Neck Audubon Sanctuary


Barred Owl  (Strix varia)
Barred Owl photographed at the Boston Public Gardens


Eastern Screech Owl  (Megascops asio)
Eastern Screech Owl photographed at an owl prowl at the Stone Barn, Allens Pond Audubon Sanctuary


Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus)
Snowy Owl photographed at Duxbury Beach

Snowy Owl photographed at Duxbury Beach


Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
Short-eared Owl photographed at Sachuest National Wildlife Refuge


Northern Hawk Owl (Surnia ulula)
Northern Hawk Owl photographed at Palmyra Maine

Northern Hawk Owl photographed at Palmyra Maine


I have only heard the Northern Saw-whet Owl (Aegolius acadicus) during a bird-a-thon

For the remaining owls: Barn Owl (I have photographed a captive Barn Owl), Long-eared Owl, Boreal Owl, Great Gray Owl; I keep looking at the e- bird news for any information on these owls, so I could plan a trip to try to observe and photograph them.

By the way, here is a photograph of a Burrowing Owl, which I photographed in California and really don't expect to photograph here in New England
Burrowing Owl

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised a burrowing owl made it up here! There were a bunch of them in the neighborhood where my grandparents used to live in Cape Coral FL and I got to see them almost everyday when we visited...I finally saw my second owl which was a Barred Owl at Parker River NWR...Good luck finding the rest!!

    ReplyDelete