Thursday, April 18, 2013

First Impressions Nikon D 7100

Well, I have now started to put my Nikon D7100 through its paces.  I did get my camera right after it was released, but only used it intermittently.  The reason for this is that my edition of Lightroom 4 did not support the Nikon D7100.  I bought my D7100 from Hunts photo and Video ( Contact Gary Farber at digitalguygary.wbhunt.com and tell him I referred you). I downloaded Nikon's View NX and Capture NX to convert some of the pictures into a format that I could use in Photoshop.  For me personally, since I have not been using the Nikon software before, it was very difficult and so I waited until Adobe upgraded Lightroom 4, to recognize the files from the D7100.

What I like about the Nikon D7100 is the lock that they placed on the mode dial to prevent it from changing modes like the D7000 did.  So far, I have not found the slow buffer speed from capturing action photographs such as birds in flight.  I have used the camera with various Nikon lenses along with some non--Nikon lenses.  What I found interesting was doing some nights sky photography with my Tokina 10 to 17 mm lens that I could utilize a lower ISO then I was able to use with the D7000.

ISO 200 20 sec

ISO 1000 20 sec


Here are some handheld photos that I took sitting across the room from my son's computer.
16 feet sharp

Same picture tight crop easily read

Pelican Model - hand held

So, my initial assessment is that the Nikon D7100 is an excellent camera for those enthusiasts that do not want a full frame camera.  I also like it, since it utilizes the same battery as my Nikon D 800, so when I travel I only have to take one charger with me.  Although, there are people that wish that it had a CF card slot rather than two SD card slots, I do not find that a problem.  However, when I remove a SD card from the camera, it goes immediately into a Think Tank pixel rocket carrying case so that I don't lose the card. (Available from Think Tank, NatureScapes, Hunts Photo or Outdoor Photo Gear - see links on the side)

Field Photos


King Eider - 500 mm f/4 + 1.7 converter
King Eider - Tight crop

Great Black-backed Gulls  -  500 mm f/4

Great Black-backed Gull Landing -  Nikon 70-200 f2/.8

Great Black-backed Gull with herring - Nikon 70-200 f/2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment