Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Rocky Gorge

Rocky Gorge
Photographers at Lower Falls


Most people travel the Kancamangus in the fall to view the foliage.  I went in the spring, because it is the time of the snow melt and the brooks, streams and rivers will be flowing in the waterfalls will be powerful.  What I had hoped for, were some overcast days, this so that the lighting on the water would be uniform and save me a lot of post-processing to correct the highlights and shadows.  However, I had bright sunny days with only some clouds.  But I survived and had a great time.  I created images with the water smooth and milky by utilizing my polarizing filter or a neutral density filter to give me slow shutter speeds.  I also used by lowest ISO in my cameras.  I also took some pictures with a high shutter speed to freeze the action of the water.  I experimented with sun flares, and zoom blurs.  With the zoom blurs, I utilize two seconds or greater shutter speed and either zoomed from the widest to the narrowest setting of vice versa.  Equipment included both a Nikon D7100 and D800, lenses, ranging from 17 mm to 75 mm, shutter releases, polarizing and neutral density filters, and of course, a tripod.  It was a fun time, and the waterfalls for the next few weeks still should be great to photograph.

Two locations that are easy to photograph and give you great action, plus a right along the road and do not require a lot of hiking are The Rocky Gorge Scenic Area (9.0/21.0 miles, easy) and the Lower Falls (6.8/23.2 miles, easy).  Mileage is from Conway at the Sacco Ranger Station stop sign or from Lincoln at the entrance to Lincoln Woods.


Lower Falls

Lower Falls

Lower Falls with sun flare

Lower Falls

Saco River

Zoom Blur

Freezing the action

Zoom Blur

Saco River

No comments:

Post a Comment