Thursday, September 19, 2013

Yum!!! It Is Dinner Time

Ruby Meadowhawk Feeding
The other day, returning home from photographing mushrooms around my condominium complex, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a red dragonfly with a very white face flying around.  It landed in the grass in front of me and I collapsed my tripod, so I could get down to eye level with the dragonfly and it did not fly away like they usually do.  I took one picture, looked at the histogram to see if I had the right settings and also viewed the picture and saw that the dragonfly was eating an insect.  I obtained a series of pictures, and after importing them into Lightroom and viewing him on my screen, I saw that the dragonfly had captured a small Lepidoptera, probably a moth and was happily eating its dinner.  The dragonfly had scales from the wing of the lepidoptera all over its face and eyes.  Well, you never know what you are going to find when you go out photographing. By the way,I ID the dragonfly as a Ruby Meadowhawk.

Ruby Meadowhawk Feeding

Ruby Meadowhawk Feeding

No comments:

Post a Comment