Sunday, December 14, 2014

Geminid Meteor Shower

Geminid Meteor Shower
Traveled to the Stone Barn to view and photograph the Geminid meteor shower.  When we arrived, the sky was partly cloudy, but the stars could be seen through the clouds.  As we waited and had some sandwiches and a hot tea, the skies cleared up.  The only complaint was the number of airplanes flying through the sky.  I did capture some meteors and to night planning on returning later in the evening from around 10 PM to midnight.
Clouds and Stars by the Stone Barn

Clouds Clearing

Clouds Are Gone

Airplane and a Meteor Just over the Tree Line on the Right

Meteor

Meteor

Plane and Meteor

Meteor

Meteor

Meteor


Because to my cameras are in for cleaning and repair at Nikon and being a NPS member I had a Nikon D 750 loaner to utilize.  I must say I am impressed with the quality of the pictures that this camera takes.  I started out with an ISO of 2000 and the picture look like I took it in daylight so I lowered my ISO to 1250, which work very well.  I utilized my Ronikon 24 mm f/1.4 lens, which is a manual focus lens on which I have marked infinity and keep the lens barrel tape down with gaffer tape so it would not move.  All pictures were taken at 20 seconds at f/2.0.  I set the in camera interval timer to take a picture every 21 seconds.  Prior to starting I treated the lens with the LensPen anti-fog cloth and it did prevent any fogging on the lens.
Original capture at ISO 2000 without any processing
post processed

No comments:

Post a Comment