Friday, November 27, 2015

Sanderlings Fighting over Food

Sanderling
Thanksgiving morning, my son and I went out photographing and left the other kids at home preparing Thanksgiving dinner.  We left the house, the temperature was in the 30s and in the time it took us to reach Sachuest National Wildlife Refuge, the temperature was into the 50s.  Even with the wind blowing.  It was still comfortable.  The high tide was just receding and the waves were still crashing on the rocks along the Ocean Loop.  We did not see any deer and overhead, loons and gulls flew by.  I only saw one passerine.  However, there were some interesting photos.

We met a couple of birders at Sachuest and they told us there was a pair of horned grebes down at third beach.  We traveled down to third beach, no grebes, large amount of a variety of gulls and probably 100 sanderlings running up and down the shore.
Sanderling
I had laid down on the on the sand and was crawling closer to the berm so I could get a better picture of the standings.  I had not reached the berm when I was able to obtain some pictures of a pair of sanderlings fighting over a slipper shell crustacean.  Finally, one of the sanderlings won out.

Sanderlings Fighting over Food
Sanderlings Fighting over Food
One Sanderling winning the Food
As I keep saying be prepared.  You never know what you will see you find.  Understand the history of what you are photographing.  Especially for shorebirds get down to their level.

No comments:

Post a Comment