Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sachuest and Short-Eared Owls

I decided yesterday afternoon to take a trip down to Sachuest National Wildlife Refuge in Middletown, Rhode Island in order to obtain more photographs of the green-tail towhee, which is still been reported around. Also, I was hoping to see and photograph the short-eared owls that have been present.


Green-tailed Towhee

Green-tailed Towhee

American Tree Sparrow


Not only did the towhee put on a show but so did a number of raptors. There was a red-tailed Hawk eating its prey which was probably a rabbit. And it included a disagreement with another red tailed Hawk, who also wanted the prey.

Red-tailed Hawks

Squabble


There were a number of Harriers searching over the meadow along with at least three short-eared owls. The owls and raptors could be observed from the side of the road leading up to the refuge parking lot and also from the parking lot. I did most of my photography from the side of the road, due to the fact that the sun was right behind me and gave me the best light.

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl
Northern Harrier



I would heartily recommend anybody in the neighborhood to go down in the later afternoon and observe these wonderful creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment