Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge and a Great Egret Feeding

Besides preparing for my next trip, I have been reviewing some old photographs that I took last year. I found this series that I thought I would share with you. It is of a great egret feeding sequence that I obtain down at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Delaware last May.

Bombay Hook is a great place to visit, both in the spring, with the migration, especially of shorebirds, and in the early winter, when the snow geese are in the refuge. I had photographed the snow geese at the refuge 20+ years ago and I hope to do it again in either November or December.

There is an excellent road system on the refuge, that allows close views of the wildlife. There also are a number of hiking trails that you can traverse. Early-morning and late afternoon. The best times to photograph, although I have gotten excellent pictures in the late morning.

The website for Bombay Hook is http://www.fws.gov/northeast/bombayhook/.

Bombay Hook is located close to Dover, Delaware, where there are a number of motels and restaurants available for you to stay at and eat.  Here is a map of the Refuge.




Now here is the sequence of the great egret feeding. These pictures were taken from my car, on the loop road, with my Nikon D 300s and a Sigma 150-500 lens utilizing a beanbag on the window.



















No comments:

Post a Comment