Friday, January 6, 2012

American Mink at Sachuest

I travel down to Sachuest National Wildlife Refuge yesterday with the main purpose of viewing the snowy owl, that is present There.  However, my nicest sighting was an American Mink.  I have on occasions in the past seen the American Mink at the refuge, but the sightings were just fleeting.  At this visit, I was able to watch the Mink, swimming in the water and catching food.

Here is some information about the American Mink.  The American Mink, can be found in most of the Continental United States and Canada, except for Arizona, Southern California, Southern and Central Utah, southern New Mexico and western Texas.  It is a member of the weasel family, with a long, sleek body that can be approximately 2 feet in length.  It has short legs and slightly webbed feet and a long, thick tail.  The coloration of which fur is brown to black and it does have white fur on its chin.  The for is covered with orderly guide his that helps make the coat waterproof.  The Mink is a kind of for and will eat rabbits, mice, chipmunks, fish, snakes, frogs, and birds.  It is a very good swimmer and can dive as deep is 16 feet, and in the winter months will be found near the water, where it can catch fish.  The rest of the year.  It does spend the time near the water, but will forage both on land and in the water.

I observed the Mink going from rock to rock jumping in the water and coming out with food to eat.  It did come up on the shore and approach close to me, stopped and looked at me for a minute and then disappeared.  While it was close to me.  It didn't say still enough to allow me to get a close-up photograph.  All my photographs were taken with the hidden behind the large rocks on the shoreline.- ROT_2301-Edit January 05, 2012 NIKON D3Syou can see the rock I was hidden behind

- Mink ROT_2327 January 05, 2012 NIKON D3S- ROT_2309-Edit January 05, 2012 NIKON D3S- ROT_2317-Edit January 05, 2012 NIKON D3S- ROT_2330-Edit January 05, 2012 NIKON D3S- ROT_2334-Edit January 05, 2012 NIKON D3S

I have also seen Mink along the shoreline of the New River in West Virginia, during a boating trip down the river, we were mainly looking for birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment