Saturday, February 23, 2013

Horned Grebe - Podiceps auritus

Horned Grebe Feeding on a Flounder Fry
Besides, what I have already written about
Provincetown harbor and the birds that I found.  I also had a great time observing and photographing a Horned Grebe, who spent an enormous amount of time and energy trying to eat a flounder fry.  In the past I have observed the horned grebes catching and eating small fish, but this flounder fry seem to be too large for the greed to swallow until the Grebe ripped it up into smaller pieces.  To show you what happened, I compiled my pictures into a video.




When I had visited Churchill, Manitoba, I was able to photograph the Horned Grebe in its breeding plumage, which is way more colorful than the way they look during the winter, when they are in their non-breeding plumage.

Horned Grebe in Breeding Plumage
Horned Grebe in Non--breeding Plumage

No comments:

Post a Comment