Thursday, May 2, 2013

Oliver Mill Park

Second blog for the day.  Today I traveled to Oliver Mill Park in Middleborough to observe what is happening with the herring run.  The herring are still running, but not as intense as a few weeks ago.  Today I observed a herring gull jump in, grab a herring, fly off with it and eat it on the fly.
Herring Gull with a Herring

"Good to the very last bite"



I went on the far side of the Park and sat down near the edge of the river, I was hand-holding my Nikon D 800 with my 70-200 mm lens, plus a 1.7 converter, when I noticed coming from my right a pair of ducks flying in from my right.  I was able to focus on them and obtained photographs of a pair of wood ducks in flight.
Wood Duck in Flight


For all at times that I have been to Oliver Mill, I've never looked on the other side of the bridge over the Nemasket River.  So today I decided to walk over and see what was there.  There is a nice slow flowing river with marsh on both sides, and besides Canada Geese, there were a number of Wood Ducks swimming and then flying.  I must keep an eye on this location in the future.
Wood duck Pair

Female Wood Duck Taking off

Male Wood Duck Preparing to Take off

Male Wood Duck in Flight

No comments:

Post a Comment