Saturday, August 31, 2013

First of the Month Routine Camera and Lens Cleaning

Unless I am away, around the first of the every month, I have a ritual.  That is to clean my my lenses and camera.  I did not clean the sensor in the camera, unless spots are showing up on my pictures.  First thing I do, I use CRC contact cleaner to clean the contacts and mounting rings on the camera and lenses with a separate Q-tip for each one.  You would be surprised how much dirt and some corrosion occurs over a month.  This is to make sure there is always good contact between the lens and the camera.

Next, I clean the front elements of the lenses.  My procedure is first to blow crud off the lens with a
Giottos blower, then brush the lens and finally using a PecPad moistened with LenClean, starting in the center and working toward the rim clean any residue off of the lens and then polish with a microfiber cloth.

The microfiber cloths after I finish hand washed in warm water and left to wear dry, then they will be placed in a Ziploc bag.

When I am out on a shoot, I always carry a small case containing microfiber cloths, PecPad, LenClean, Q-tips and contact cleaner, so I am prepared if anything needs immediate care.

No comments:

Post a Comment