Monday, December 2, 2013

Snowy Owl Yes at Gooseberry

Snowy Owl - Bubo scandiacus
The staff at Allens Pond Audubon Sanctuary this morning reported a snowy owl at the sanctuary. So after I dropped my grandson off at work, my son and I went out to the sanctuary. At the sanctuary through the spotting scope I saw the owl but then it disappeared. Made a revision in the plans, and decided to drive out to Gooseberry to see if we could find any Snowy Owls. On W. Beach Rd. just prior to the causeway that leads to Gooseberry a Short-eared Owl flew overhead and then down over the Horseneck Beach Campground. We parked the car and walked the campground to see if we could find the Short-eared Owl, but no such luck. We returned to the car and slowly was driving the causeway out to Gooseberry, when on the right side in the ocean on the large rock we noticed a white blob. Stopping, and with my binoculars identified a beautiful Snowy Owl. I packed the car on the side of the causeway, got out, set up my tripod and then put my camera and lens in position and spent about 20 minutes photographing the Snowy Owl. The owl kept looking around. Finally it took off, landed on a light pole and then flew down toward East Beach when a car passed under the pole.

Snowy Owl - Bubo scandiacus

Snowy Owl - Bubo scandiacus

Snowy Owl - Bubo scandiacus

Snowy Owl - Bubo scandiacus


There are  reports coming from everywhere of an influx of snowy owls, even one as just been reported from Bermuda. So check out the known locations with snowy owls have been found and enjoy the sight of this magnificent bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment