Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sunday morning at Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge

"I see you."
It is Sunday, the day after the Patriots win, I woke up early and traveled down to Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge in Middletown, Rhode Island.  The hope was to see raptors and owls along with sea ducks.  The temperature was around the freezing mark with only a slight wind, and it was comfortable out.  There were a large number of common crows flying all over the place.  In the fields, there were many deer feeding.  You can tell it has not been on harsh winter so far since the deer all looked healthy and well fed.
White-tailed Deer
White-tailed Deer
White-tailed Deer
Travel down to the Flint rocks, hoping to see a snowy owl and sea ducks, but all I visualized was one out in the distance.  I watched the waves crashing on the rocks and I am sure this will pick up as the storm goes by later today and tonight.
Waves Coming in
I did meet a fellow photographer and we talked about sightings he was going to look for the owl, however, is knowledge of the last sighting was about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago.  The other day around 7 AM.  He did see an owl cruising the fields.  It was probably a short-eared owl.  I did not see any raptors or owls while I was there.

I finished off the morning at third beach, looking over the salt marsh.  The water was filled with Canada geese and some Brant, a pair of Bufflehead, and a group of black ducks and looking closely at the picture on the computer.  You can see that there are some hybrid black duck/mallards in this flock.
Pair of Bufflehead, you can see the brilliant colors on the Drake
Pair of Bufflehead, you can see the brilliant colors on the Drake
Flock of American Black duck with hybrid Black/Mallard
Finishing up and heading home.  I checked out some of the spots where there have been cackling geese and some other key species hanging out with the Canada geese.  All the fields I checked were empty so the geese had not left their night roosting area to come out feeding.  Black/mallards

No comments:

Post a Comment