Sunday, April 24, 2016

Nikon D500

On April 21 Nikon released the D500, and I received my copy on April 22.  I already had downloaded from Nikon both of the camera manuals and did an initial read.  The D500 camera dials are similar to the D300 and the D 810, but as usual with a new camera, there are modifications, which will take a little time to be comfortable

Some of the items that I like is that it is easier to change the ISO settings, lens fine tune is simple and does not require extra equipment, the continuous frame rate is up to 10 frames per second, and the buffer has increased to 200 frames.

I mounted my Nikon 200-400 mm F/5 6 lens onto the camera and tried the lens fine tune and found that the lens did not need any calibration.  I took this combination out photographing yesterday and today and am very pleased with the results.

I am shooting manual and using auto ISO.  Today discovered a large flock of wild turkeys displaying along Horseneck Road in Westport.  One of the photos that I took was that ISO 9000 and the noise was not that disturbing.
Wild Turkeys Displaying
I have tried a few photographs today, utilizing the 1.3 X crop factor which according to the EXIF I have data doubled my focal length of the lens.  The results were pleasing.
Tree Swallow
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin Bringing Mud Back to the Nest That It Is Building¶
Unless something changes the D500 and the 200-500 lens will be my wildlife shooting combination.  This combination is very handholdable and much lighter than my 500 mm F/4 lens.
Double-crested Cormorants
Pairs of Greater Scaup

No comments:

Post a Comment