Monday, February 6, 2012

One Morning’s Photography

Today's blog is a collection of my photography that I obtained on an early Sunday morning.  I had been told by friends about the possibility of white-tailed deer and wild turkeys on the road and around The Old Stone Barn..  The Old Stone Barn is being restored to be a educational and visitors center for Allens Pond Massachusetts Audubon Sanctuary.
I arrived around 6:15 AM in the morning and slowly drove down the road and up to the barn, looking closely over the fields for signs of deer or turkeys.  None could be seen, so I decided I would try to call in a screech owl.  Earlier in the season at an owl prowl, we were able to call in a screech owl at the Old Stone Barn.  I set up my camera and lens on the tripod and attach the flash and focused on the old tree where I hoped the owl would land.  I played my owl call, and lo and behold, I did not get an owl, but I got Eastern Bluebirds, - D7K_3149 February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000which came out of a nearby cedar tree.  I was able to capture some interesting photographs of the bluebirds.

On the eastern horizon the sky was turning a light ruby red color and so I switched from bird photography to landscape and created a picture of the sky and trees,- DSC_5427-Edit February 05, 2012 NIKON D3S- ROT_5425-Edit February 05, 2012 NIKON D3S plus a photograph of the Old Stone Barn.- Sunrise Stone BarnDSC_5430_DxO-Edit February 05, 2012 NIKON D3S
Since I had time, I immediately traveled To the Allens Pond Field Station, and captured a sunrise over the front meadow.  To create the sunrise image, I bracketed 5 different exposures and combined them in NIK HDR Efex Pro.- Sunrise Allens pondDSC_5436_HDR February 05, 2012 NIKON D3S










I then decided I would take a short trip out to Gooseberry to see what birds were swimming around the causeway. Photographing from my car window, utilizing The Puffin Pad to support my long lens and by photographing from in the car, i did not scare the birds. The ducks, and a red-throated loon were very obliging and were swimming closer to the causeway, allowing almost full frame pictures. The ducks were even coming in closer, until another car pulled up and the person got out to photograph the ducks. Now, instead of coming closer, they swam away as fast as the could  and became smaller in the frame of the picture, which ment a larger crop, which would add more noise tothe photograph.  Unless you are photographing at a location where the ducks and other birds are used to humans, so a careful approach and try to make yourself as inconspicuous as possible so you can obtain your photographs.





- Red-throated Loon D7K_3244-Edit February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000
Red-throated Loon
- Bufflehead pair D7K_3382-Edit February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000
Bufflehead Pair

- Common Goldeneye - ist winter male D7K_3355 February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000
Common Goldeneye - 1st winter male

- Common Goldeneye -female D7K_3166 February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000
Common Goldeneye - female
- Common Goldeneye - maleD7K_3314 February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000
Common Goldeneye - male
The last subject that I obtained was a back lit, sanderling, since the Sun was almost directly behind it.- sanderling back lit February 05, 2012 NIKON D7000

No comments:

Post a Comment