Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Passerines at Wellfleet Bay

While I was at Wellfleet Bay Audubon Sanctuary, I also spent time at the two feeders that are on either side of the path leading down into the main sanctuary.  I set up my tripod and camera on the side so I had a good view, and once the birds got used to me had no problems photographing them.  There were some difficulty, the first was when other visitors would walked down the path, the birds would scatter, but, they would return in a short period of time.  The other problem, was that the birds would fly in, grab some seeds and fly away to eat the seeds..  What I would love to have done, utilizing the techniques that Alan Murphy describes in his e-books, is set up perches, so the bird with land on it before going down and grabbing the seeds.  However, I made do with what was available.  At least some of the birds with land on branches and stay there long enough so I could obtain photographs.
 American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis
American Goldfinch in winter plumage
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus,
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay - Cyanocita cristata
Blue Jay
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens
Downy Woodpecker
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus
House Sparrow
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis cardinalis
Northern Cardinal
Pine Siskin (Carduelis pinus),
Pine Siskin
"Where to put my foot"
Pine Siskin

No comments:

Post a Comment