Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fireworks, My Technique

Today's blog is how I photographed the fireworks over the Esplanade.  My equipment included Nikon D3s, Tokina 17-35 mm F/4 lens, a sturdy tripod, and a cable release.  My settings were ISO 200, F/11, 2 seconds at 23 mm.  I pre-focused my lens and then change the camera to manual focus.  I left the lens on autofocus, since if I accidentally touched the focusing, dial it would not change the focus, like on some of the lenses.  On this Tokina lens to manual focus, you have to pull the focus ring to manual focus.  I experimented with longer shutter speeds and found that two seconds gave me the best picture.  Really, what made the fireworks photography in Boston easy, was that the fireworks were almost continuous with hardly any delay between sequences.  The reason I chose my Nikon D3s was because of its faster continuous frames per second and it's faster buffer, then my Nikon D800.  Utilizing the shutter release.  I pressed it on and click the button to keep it on and let the camera fire away.  In this series of images which is a complete sequence from start to finish of a fireworks display. Time between the start of one picture and the start of the next picture averaged 3 seconds.  I did all my post-processing in Lightroom 5 for these pictures.

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

Fourth Of July Fireworks

No comments:

Post a Comment