Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Noise Removal

Mourning Dove final
With all the snow we have been having, most of my photography has been photographing the birds that are coming to my deck feeder.  I have had little son and most the time it is been dark due to the snow and clouds.  I've had to use higher ISO and probably could've gone higher than I have.  The main problem with using higher ISO is noise.  If you use either Lightroom of Photoshop for your post-processing, Lightroom develop module and Adobe ACR are the same and give you the option how to remove noise.  I am going to show you today a different way to remove noise utilizing a method that I learned from Artie Morris and Denise Ippolito.  The methodology for me requires both Lightroom and Photoshop.

My settings were 1/400 sec-f/5.6-ISO 2000, D810, 70-200 +2x converter at 260 mm

After importing my photos into Lightroom and doing the initial post-processing but not sharpening or doing noise reduction.
Mourning Dove original 

Next, I export the image into Photoshop, where I do any cleanup on the image that is necessary, and then I convert the image into a smart object.


I ran my 2 favorite plug-in filters, Topaz Clarity and Topaz Detail, after running Detail.  It does leave more noise in the photo.  Previously I removed the noise by using the masking portion of detail or using Topaz Denoise to remove noise.

My steps now is using the quick celestial action tool I select out the object that I do not want to change the noise in, refined the edge, invert the selection and paste the selection in a new layer.  Then I utilize the surface blur filter to get rid of the noise.  Once you get the hang of it.  It really doesn't take much additional time and does an excellent job.
Noise after running clarity and detail

selection made with quick selection tool

utilizing surface blur to remove noise
Steps

I hope this tutorial is been useful for you and if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.'s2x converter at 260 mm

No comments:

Post a Comment